The William Fogg Library was established in 1907 for the residents of Eliot by a trust from Dr. John S. H. Fogg in memory of his father, William Fogg. At that time few public libraries existed in southern Maine. The Kittery Social Library was a privately funded institution used only by its members. William Fogg belonged to the Kittery Social Library, and believing in the importance of education for the citizens of Eliot, he sponsored a Social Library in Eliot. This was located at his home on Old Road (now the Fogg Homestead near the William Fogg Library). To honor his father’s love of education, learning, and the people of Eliot, Dr. John Fogg left a trust including land, the family homestead, and funds to provide a library for the residents of Eliot.
Dedicated on May 21, 1907, the library was designed by Boston architect C. Howard Walker and constructed using fieldstone from the stone walls that bordered William Fogg’s property. Also included in the bequest was the family homestead, the William & John Fogg antiquarian book collection, and the beautiful grounds upon which the buildings stand.
In May, 1999, a new addition housing the children’s collection was completed. The Kent Children’s Room is approximately 1400 square feet, with windows on three sides that echo the windows in the original building. The original fieldstone exterior was left intact and is easily viewed in the Kent Room. The addition also includes a handicapped-accessible ramp and a small kitchen.
The Fogg homestead was seriously damaged by a fire in the fall of 2000. Restoration was completed in 2005.